German Potato Soup
If this hearty soup made with turkey bacon, cabbage, and leeks isn’t a P90X soup, we don’t know what is!
Total Time: 30 min.
Prep Time: 8 min.
Cooking Time: 22 min.
Yield: 4 servings, 1½ cups each
1 Tbsp. olive oil
3 slices turkey bacon, chopped
½ medium onion, chopped
1 leek, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 cups shredded cabbage (about ½ head)
4 cups low-sodium organic vegetable broth
3 medium potatoes, cut into ½-inch cubes
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. caraway seeds
½ tsp. ground black pepper
¼ tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
4 Tbsp. nonfat plain yogurt
1. Heat oil in large saucepot over medium-high heat.
2. Add turkey bacon, onion, leek, carrots, and cabbage; cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 7 minutes, or until vegetables soften.
3. Add broth, potatoes, bay leaf, caraway seeds, pepper, salt, and nutmeg; bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low, maintain a gentle boil, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.
4. Place 2 cups of soup in a blender or food processor; cover with lid and kitchen towel. Blend until almost smooth.
5. Return blended soup to saucepot; mix well.
6. Serve each portion topped with 1 Tbsp. yogurt.
Nutritional Information (per serving):